Exercise, Day 6: Walking Late

January 3, 2009 at 1:51 pm 4 comments

Well, sort of.   I’ve been in the habit of walking first thing in the morning, but today the boys had basketball camp from 8:00-10:15, and then we took them to Home Depot for the Kids’ Workshop.  By the time we got home it was time to make lunch, so between prep, cleanup, and putting Luke down for his nap, I’m getting down here to walk at almost 1:30 pm.

It doesn’t help that Andy is also treadmilling. 😉  He’s not entirely sold on changing what we eat, but he does want to feel better and the treadmill is much easier to do while watching TV than the elliptical, so he’s asserting his right to take part.  I am glad of this, but I’m not a patient person and having to wait my turn is annoying.  😉  Fortunately, he goes back to school on Monday, so I won’t have to wait on him.  I guess I can afford to be magnanimous.

I only walked for an hour yesterday, as I was interrupted at that point by my parents, who came to pick up Susanna for her ‘Special Day with Grandma and Grandpa’.  Each of the grandkids gets a day like this each year from the time they turn four.  Susie turned four in December, so this is her first time.  It seemed worthwhile to take a break for the purpose of seeing her off, especially since one never really knows how a little girl might react to being invited away from home for an overnight stay somewhere for the first time.  I needn’t have worried; she couldn’t get out the door fast enough.  But though I meant to come back last night, I never did get back down here.  Whoops.

So I’m definitely walking for two hours today.  If nothing else, I figure I NEED to, because for whatever reason this is a harder fast day than most.  I may have made a serious mistake this morning by chewing some sugar free gum on the way to the basketball camp, as I think I read somewhere that this tends to create more cravings, not less.  I was just concerned about my breath, but my lunchtime veggie blend was definitely not as satisfying as it has been, and I am eagerly looking forward to dinner now.  Walking for two hours and getting work done will definitely help pass the time.

I am noticing that I have more energy now.  Last night around 8:30, I dragged the kids down to the playroom and made them clean it up before bed.  We need to be doing this anyway, and my determination to do this can be attributed to the fact that the whole family spent three days down here cleaning the basement in a fevered attempt to get ready to have people over for New Years… It was such a huge job that I am obviously not eager to have to do it again anytime soon, but even so… the idea of me feeling inclined to come downstairs and clean with no other provocation than that would have been rather laughable previously.  Nowadays it’s not a decision made so thoroughly against my inclinations.

Ergo: the house is staying cleaner, my mood is staying happier, and stuff is getting done on time.  All good things, and remarkable given that it’s happening at a time when I’m normally pretty lethargic because of the weather.

I also learned yesterday that one of the families who came over for New Years is down with a terrible stomach bug.  The kids and Christine are apparently throwing up and feverish, and poor Dan is running around trying to take care of them all.  This was not happy news, as they had all been over here hanging out with us not quite 24 hours before it hit, but miraculously we seem to be okay so far.  It would be nice to skip this, if it’s going around.  I worried that I was killing my immunity somewhat by putting my body under all of this unusual stress, but I managed to shut off the ceiling fan that my insane, closet-eskimo husband insists on turning on every night, and this morning I didn’t have any hint of a sore throat.  I’m apparently doing just fine.

All the same, I did make my Health Blend for lunch the ‘Immunity Blend’.  A little extra Vitamin C and Vitamin E couldn’t hurt, right?

My food intake on eating days has been higher than I’ve managed in past weeks.  I’m having a hard time saying ‘no’ to not-so-good things again.  Some of this still goes back to not having planned as well as I should have, but it’s also due to the fact that I feel more ‘entitled’ to eat things because of the exercise.  I need to curb that.


Entry filed under: ADF, Exercise, Successes. Tags: , , , , , , .

Exercise, Day 5: Ouch. Exercise, Day 7: Sweating the Weigh-In


  • 1. melalvai  |  January 3, 2009 at 7:14 pm

    Do you run a humidifier? My allergist recommended that I use a humidifer at night, and I actually wake up WITHOUT a sore throat! I thought that was just a normal part of waking up.

  • 2. Jennifer  |  January 3, 2009 at 7:27 pm

    We had gotten one for the Eczema Twins (Noah and Luke) and it has helped them tremendously. Andy broke out an old Vicks one and put in our room, and it definitely helped.. However, we’re not entirely sure whether it’s working or not. There’s no mist coming out of it.

    Bottom line, though, it would appear that the sore throat situation is based on cold, dry air being breathed in, not on infection. Which is good.

  • 3. Stephanie Wilson  |  January 4, 2009 at 7:53 am

    Very nice post. That’ll work.


  • 4. Feaelin  |  January 4, 2009 at 12:14 pm

    An hour or two per day burns some calories off, I’d say!

Recent Posts

Check it out!

  • 9,479 people are watching me!

%d bloggers like this: